Semen analysis showed sluggish motile sperms. Using multivitamin& clomopihene citrate. Suggested surgery. Help?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hI..This XXXXXXX from hyderabad. My problem is related to Infertility.
In 2012 i did semen analysis: 2million/ml with 90% dead sperms&10% sluggish motile sperms. From one year onwards iam using multivitamin& clomopihene citrate .Recently i did semen analysis again, 14million/ml with 20%active motile& 30% sluggish motile and 50% dead cells. Recently I undergone Scrotum USG and had Bilateral Grade-1 varicocele. My doctor suggested to under go surgery for better improvement of sperm count& motility. But iam not interested in invasive surgery. Hence can i go for non-invasive varicocele treatment(Embolization) for better semen counts? Please give me a suggestion, that will embolization help me for infertilty or not?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to few studies embolization is equal to surgical procedure in improving the fertility.
So as this is noninvasive procedure with less recovery period you can choose it with your doctor's advice.
But sometimes reversal is possible with embolization.
You can continue taking the medical treatment also as that may possibly help in further improvement of seminal parameters.
One more option is you can choose artificial reproductive methods like Intrauterine insemination of semen. In that positive results can be expected with seminal count above 10 million/ml.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Semen analysis showed sluggish motile sperms. Using multivitamin& clomopihene citrate. Suggested surgery. Help? 7 hours later
Thanq Madam, for your valuable suggestion.

I have one more query. My wife is getting regular periods, no harmonal problems and no other problems except tubal block infection on left side& partial block on right side. She undergone Laproscopy on 10-06-13. My question is, will IUI help to conceive with 14million/ml count.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later

First it has to be confirmed that whether her fallopian tubes became patent after laparoscopy or not.
Once the tubes became patent you can try for IUI.
General minimum requirements for IUI are:
Total count > 10 million/ml
Total motile sperm > 5 million/ml
Progressive motility > 20%
Normal morphology >30%
As your seminal parameters are nearer to these and as you still continuing the medicines you can once try for IUI.

As this is not invasive and less expensive, you can try for it with your doctor's advice before deciding for embolization or surgery.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.