Semen analysis showed positive klebsiella pneumoniae. Should I take tetracycline or ciprofloxacin?

Feb 2013

hi, I have a positive klebsiella pneumoniae cultured from semen, how and why could I contract this bug, and it is also esbl positive, should i take a tetracycline? i have been prescribed ciprofloxacin but i see the bug is resistant, please help. thanks
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Klebsiella pneumoniae is the second most common cause of chronic lung disease and with excess alcohol consumption.

If you have any symptoms or signs of urinary tract infection, urinary tract may infact be infected with the organism and it needs to be treated.

Sometimes the organism may be grown in culture if urine or semen sample is contaminated with the organism while taking or handling the sample as the organism grows in hospital settings. If you are asymtomatic, then perhaps this could be the reason.

Therefore I advise you not to take self medication without a doctor. A doctor needs to evaluate your current symptoms and signs while co-relating the reports to advise you the appropriate antibiotic. Using inappropriate and inadequate dosing may lead to antibiotic resistance. And you told it is ESBL positive. Culture - sensitivity report can help your treating doctor to prescribe the specific antibiotic

So consult your Physician, he will correlate your clinical symptoms with the culture report and advise you the appropriate antibiotic.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.