Semen analysis showed increased liquefaction time. Should I be concerned?

Sep 2012

My Semen analysis report is as below:
color: gray white
Viscocity: Normal
Liquifaction: Increased (what does this mean ?)
Sperm count: 50
Rapid Progressive Motility: 30
Slow Progressive Motility: 40
Non progressive Motility: 30

Normal forms: 40
Abnormal Forms: 30
Amorphous Forms: 10
Acute Taping forms: 5
Pin Heads: 5
Giant Heads: 5
Double Heads: 5
WBC: 2-3

Could you please tell me is there anything I should be concerned about? Whqat does increased liquifaction means? Also WBC is more than expected(. Is this something to worry about?)
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 47 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, I am discussing the report first.

The color, volume, pH, viscosity are within normal limit. The liquefaction time is increased. It means the semen takes more time to get a near transparent appearance. In a normal person, it should take less than 1 hour to get liquefied. It may get increased in many situations. But, right now, it cannot be commented on as you have increased WBC in semen.

Sperm count is normal. We, clinically take 39 million of total sperm count as normal.

Motility of the sperm is very good. Clinically, we consider 40% or more total motility (rapid + progressive motility) as normal.

Percentage of normal sperm is also within normal limit. Clinically, 04% sperm with normal morphology is considered as normal.

Now, WBC. It is increased. Clinically, no WBC should be found in semen of a normal person. So, it’s increased level indicates possibility of bacterial infection. As I have told, sometimes, this increased WBC can lead to increased time required for liquefaction.

So, right now, you have to be concerned regarding the infection in urogenital tract. In this condition a broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin should be taken. Complete the antibiotic course and then repeat the semen analysis again. For the prescription you should consult with your treating doctor.

You do not have to worry regarding the other parameters of semen analysis. They are quite satisfactory for fertility.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Semen analysis showed increased liquefaction time. Should I be concerned? 35 hours later
Thank you doctor for the clarifications. I took scrotal Doppler report and the report came normal. My doctor suggested me to take Lyco Q 100 tablets (daily one in the morning after breakfast).

According to him motility (a+b) is less (t.e 40) because in the normal case it should be above 50. That is why he has suggested me to take the tablet.

Also according to him WBC is not an issue and liquifaction should not be problem for conceiving..
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, motility of a +b should be more than 40%. But some clinicians take it as 50%.

But, regarding wbc, my opinion was absolutely right. Because, previously, it was told that normal semen may contain some wbcs. But presently, according to WHO 2010, normal semen should not contain any wbc. Presence of only one wbc is indicative of urogenital infection.

You should consult with your treating doctor about this.

As I have told you previously, no comment should be made regarding the liquefaction time right now.

But, you can continue the medicine. It will increase the fertility overall.

Hope you have your answers.