Semen analysis showed decreased motility. Is this a serious problem?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Good evening doc. My husband got his semen analysis test result back but we are still confused on few things.
The result states
Semen appear normal
Semen visc normal
Semen lique normal
Semen vol. 5.0
Semen motility 85 % (51-99)
Semen ph 8.0. (7.0-8.0)
Sperm count 84.0 (20.0-250.0)
Sperm % Abn # 35 H (0-30)
Pin heads present
Acrosomal present
Tapered heads present
Bent necks present
Shoulders present
Coiled tails present
Germ cells present

Semen motility:
Decreased motility may be due to either non-viable or non-motile sperm.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 48 minutes later

I read your report and understand your confusions.

Let me clear them for you:

1) The semen is excellent. There is no problem

2) Though it is written that motility is decreased, report states motility of 85 % which is very good. The interpretation is wrong in the end.

3) Abnormal sperms are only 35 % and different types of abnormality are described in your report. Hence normal sperms are 65 % which is very good.

4) Every other parameters are good according to WHO 2010 semen analysis guidelines. I dont see any problem to worry.

I hope your doubts are clear now.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: Semen analysis showed decreased motility. Is this a serious problem? 14 minutes later
That is great news and I thank you for that now my next question is should we have my wife go for any test??? We have been trying to conceive for two years and nothing has happened

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 13 minutes later

1) Please get tubal patency test called HSG ( hysterosalpingogram ) done for your wife.

2) Get Antral follicle count ( AFC ) done on second day of cycle.

3) Get blood tests FSH, LH , AMH for your wife.

4) If all the above reports are XXXXXXX I suggest you can consult an infertility specialist who can guide you to best time of intercourse by doing follicular growth scan ( FGS ).

I hope your doubts are clear now.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: Semen analysis showed decreased motility. Is this a serious problem? 3 minutes later
One more question we are in Philadelphia is there a way we can find out where you are do we can come to you???
I am punjabi and my wife is persian we would live to XXXXXXX you in person and get any guidance and help you can offer

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 minutes later
Hi, I am in bangalore. You are welcome to XXXXXXX me anytime. If you wish to talk to me, you can always call me up using services for calling up a doctor in healthcare magic website. You can discuss and send me reports before coming which can save your time. I hope you are clear now. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Semen analysis showed decreased motility. Is this a serious problem? 8 minutes later
Doc my wide has always had regular periods but ever since she had a work related accident her menstruated circles have been irregular she had a test performed 4 years ago and everything came out good expert her hormones levels were little high her Fsh or what ever its called. She was diagnosed with RSD which is a nerve damage and takes medication called tramadol can the med and the nerve damage cause a problem for fertility??

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 minutes later

Nerve damage is unlikely to cause infertility. if possible please let me know more details of the accident and neurlogical diagnosis. You can attach scanned copies of the diagnosis / reports etc...

I would like to see the blood test reports also if you have no problem. Plese send me those as they would provide me more information to guide you further. If you dont have then please get them again and send me.

regards,
Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: Semen analysis showed decreased motility. Is this a serious problem? 5 minutes later
Doc this is so strange another doctor just replied to the same question I asked you but she claims totally the opposite of your answers she claims that the result indicated infertility and couple other things I am so confused right now!!'
And yes I will Defenatly send you the info you requested how ever there hasn't been Any blood work done and her nerve damage is in her right arm and at times affecting her right leg and ecpirirnce of numbness

I understand that though the analysis looks good, reporting is wrong. I am specialist who sees such reports regularly and do exclusive infertility practice. Hence it is normal for another doctor to get bit confused seeing the report. hence dont be confused. Your semen analysis looks good. i dont think that is the reason for infertility.

If there has been no blood tests done, please get the blood tests and ultrasound scan report I have asked for. We can go ahead from there.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol