Semen analysis results. What does an abnormal viscosity mean?

May 2013
What does an abnormal viscosity mean. I have just had my semen analysed and results show 9cm > 2cm ) ; + round cells and + sperm aggregation
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.
Viscosity of the semen means liquid flow of semen. At the time of ejaculation semen will have thick consistency, after 30 minutes to 1 hour it will liquefy.

Abnormal viscosity means semen fails to liquefy and remains thick, this can be graded on a scale from 0 to 4.
0 = < l cm, l = 1-4 cm, 2 = 5-8 cm, 3 = 9 cm.

In this 0 is normal viscosity and as number increases the viscosity will be more.
In case of hyper viscosity the drop will form a thread longer than 2 cm, hyper viscosity is graded as mild>2 to 4 cm, moderate 4 to 6 cm, severe>6cm.

In case of hyper viscous semen, sperm faces difficulty in reaching the egg leading to infertility.

Round cells in semen analysis means cells other than spermatozoa, as these will be round in shape usually these are called round cells.
These can be white blood cells, immature sperm, parts of cell structures etc.
Is these cells are less than 7/high power field, it is normal.
More number of cells may indicate infection.

Aggregation or clumping: it indicates non motile sperm which are clumped together or motile spermatozoa sticking to mucus strands.
It can also be graded from 0 to 4, 0 to 1 is normal

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.