Semen analysis report says seminal parameters appear normal. Is there any abnormalities?

Oncologist, Surgical
My question is, my partner has just has a semen sample test done, and thr doc just said over the phone that is was normal without to much detail, truthfully my partner was very busy at the time and probably didnt quite understand, I have gone to the gyno and he had the results there and has advised me the test was normal, he gave me a copy of the test result and now i have read the results I am a bit concerned as I probably dont quite understand it properly, my main concern was this part - normal Morpholgy 7
Head defects 89% Midpiece defects 3% tail defects1% and abnormal forms 93%, everything else on the test I have been looking up and seems fine, but i have having trouble understanding the the abnormalities that are present, how would this be a normal result with such high abnormalities , the comment on the bottom of the report says seminal parameters appear normal, please explain
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 9 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for clarifying your query with XXXXXXX I can imagine that you are concerned by reading that so many of your husband's sperms have defects but according to WHO (world health organisation) criteria, semen with more than 4% normal morphology sperms is normal. Rest of the sperms are bound to have some defect.
According to this report 7% of your husband's sperms have normal morphology and therefore the report is normal.
In case you are still worried about the report, it is advisable to get the test repeated after 2.5 months after a period of abstinence of around 4-5 days.

I hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to clarify any other point if you like.