Semen analysis report. What is the problem & suggested treatment?

Infertility Specialist
here is the report of semen analysis, i want to know what is the problem and what t do that?
Seman Analysis
Method : Masturbation     Time of collection : 9:55 am
Abstinence: 5 days          Time of Examination : Sample brought to the lab

Physical Examination
Volume : 2ml
Colour :Opaque white
Viscosity : Normal
Odour : Musty
Liquefaction : Sample Liquified when received
Turbidity : +
Chemical Examination
Ph     : 7.0
Fructose :Present
Microscopic Examination
Sperm count :46 millons/ml
Motilility –
1.     At liquefaction          :10%
2.      1 hr after liquefaction :00%
3.      2 hr after liquefaction :00%
4.      Sperm kinetics     : Grade III
5.     Precursor cells     : Present
6.     Other findings     : nil
Abnormal Sperms : 30%
1.     Abnor of head     :12%
2.     Abnor of middle piece :- 08%
3.      Abnor of Tail     : 10%
Agglutination : Absent
Pus Cells : 2 -3 /hpf
Erythrocytes :Nil

Hammens semens quality Classification:
Hammens : IV

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 40 minutes later

Based on the reports provided - the semen analysis suggests that the sprem count is normal.

However the motility of the sperms is very low and after 1 hour there is no sperm movement observed. This suggests that either there is a problem in the motility or there might be some infection that is causing this problem.

I encourage you to XXXXXXX an urologist for a detailed genitourinary examination. They will surely be of help in dealing with this problem.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr Nandita Thakkar
Follow-up: Semen analysis report. What is the problem & suggested treatment? 9 hours later

Thank you for your kind time and analysis.

I had undergone endoscopic method of removal of kidney stone (Prone to kidney stones) around 3years back. And I have put on my weight to 100 kg and my height is 5.7. Food habits are pure vegiterian. Is these two are the problems which will affect the motility? Should I do the recheck of seman analysis after consulting urologist. Surely I will consult to the Urologist and undergo genitourinary examination. But I would like to understand, how to improve the motility either through diet or medication. If medication how do go about it? Is it possible to increase the motility of the sperms through medicines etc.?

Please suggest and help
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 3 hours later

The examination is of utmost importance to find a cause. If there is any identifiable and treatable condition, then proper treatment will help you.

A repeat semen test will also be advised after seeing your medical condition.

There are medications that are supposed to help in improving the motility which can be prescribed by the consultant.

Diet really plays no major role in the improvement of sperm motility parameters.

dr XXXXXXX thakkar

Follow-up: Semen analysis report. What is the problem & suggested treatment? 8 hours later

You have suggested me to go through genitourinary examination. What exactly is this tests? Is it that to check the blockage? In that case how come the test shows sperm count shows 46 millons/ml?. Another question is that if there is a infection how many days needed to cure it? Actually we are trying for our first baby.

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 39 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
A genitourinary examination is a physical examination done to rule out an infection in the prostate gland, seminal vesicles and the presence of a varicocele.
After this, we would screen you for infection using certain tests like urine examination or an examination of the prostate secretions. The treatment would depend upon the type of organism and the site of infection. An ultrasound of this region may also be needed.
The duration of the treatment would also depend on the organism identified.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.
Wishing you the very best.

Dr Nandita Thakkar