Semen analysis done for varicocele surgery. Prescribed co q forte, clofert and mecovi. Safe?

Jul 2016

Hi Dr.

I underwent a varicocele Surgery in 2007. Post that the Semen Analysis did not show a significant improvement. Recently in December I got a new Semen Test done.
Basic result was 5% spermatozoa alive after 1/2 hr - total sperm ejaculate - 24 mill

Motility -
After half hour A - 0% B - 2% C - 5% D - 0%
After 2 housr A - 0% B - 1% C - 2% D - 0%

Spermiogram - total number of abnormal spematozoa - 52%

I was prescribed :

Tab CO Q Forte, Tab Clofert 50Mg and Cap Mecovit (1 tab each in the morn for 3 months)

My question to you is - are these medicines beneficial?
Are there any adverse side effects.
What else should I get done or tested as I plan to remarry (am a divorcee) and want to try have my own kids.

Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later

Based on the facts and your Semen Analysis report that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as Oligoasthenospermia, meaning there by your sperm count is low and percentage of active motile sperm (Grade A sperm) is also low compared to WHO standards.

To be true there are many medications from all various faculties of medical science who claim to be effective in treating Oligoasthenospermia. However, the fact of the matter is that none of these medicines have been proved effective scientifically to establish their claim.

As regard result of Varicocele surgery, it proved to improve sperm count in 30 % of the patients.

Please consult qualified Infertility Specialist who will carry out certain tests to verify quality and quantity of sperms for effective fertilization of a female egg or any possibility of getting results with Assisted Reproductive Technique.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Semen analysis done for varicocele surgery. Prescribed co q forte, clofert and mecovi. Safe? 14 hours later

What you replied most of it I know.

My specific question was towards the medications - if you advise I should take them or no as you clearly mention that they dont seem to be effective.

Again the medications I am talking about are :
Tab CO Q Forte,
Tab Clofert 50Mg
Cap Mecovit (1 tab each in the morn for 3 months)

The reason I want to know is if I take them will there be side effects that could worsen the situation.

Looking forward to your response.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Thanks for follow up. As I mentioned earlier no drug is effective in male infertility to improve motility of sperm I will recommend not to take any drug.

As regards CO Q forte I am unaware of the pharmaceutical ingredient of this drug hence unable to make any comment about its side effects.

Tab clofert is Clomiphen, which has many side effects if taken for a long time these are
Head ache. Dizziness, Flushing of the face,Nausea, Vomiting.Abdominal discomfort,Visual disturbances.So I would advise you not to take it when the results are not guaranteed and proved.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr. Patil.