Semen analysis done for sperm count, motility and viscosity. Are the findings normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I semen test done it is normal or not?
volume - 2ml, viscosity - normal, ph- 8.0, fructose - positive, sperm count - 12.9m/ml total motility - 50% total motility end 1hr. - 50% Forward linear progressive-10% forward non linear progressive - 20% Non Progressive -20% immotile-50% Abnormal forms-65% pus cells-1-2/hpf RBC- absent Agglutination- absent Grams stain - No micro organisms seen.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, I am discussing your report first.

The volume is absolutely normal. pH is also within normal limit.

Fructose positivity indicates a normal prostate functioning.

Sperm count is lower than normal. We clinically take 15 millions / ml as a cut off value for sperm count.

The motility of sperm is also lower than normal. Because, clinically, grade I and grade II motility should be more than 50%. Here, it is only 30%. That means motility is low.

The sperms having normal forms are within normal limit. We clinically take 04% as a cut off value.

Pus cells are present. Presence of pus cells indicates an infection. Because, a normal semen does not contain a single pus cells.

So, in brief, the problems are
1.     Low sperm count.
2.     Low sperm motility.
3.     Infection.
In a word you are suffering from oligoasthenozoospermia.

Now, you have to take a broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin group of drug. Besides, you have to take a vitamin E agent and coenzyme Q group of drug to improve the motility of sperm.

So, it would be better to consult an infertility specialist for clinical examination and clinical correlation of this report and for ordering any further investigation and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices, let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Semen analysis done for sperm count, motility and viscosity. Are the findings normal? 15 hours later
Thanx doctor one more question so I am getting father are not?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 35 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

I am sorry to say that with these parameters, it will be difficult to be a father right now.

You should take the drugs i have mentioned. After 2 months, do the test again. that report will indicate the status.

Hope, you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: Semen analysis done for sperm count, motility and viscosity. Are the findings normal? 1 hour later
Thanx doctor pleas told me what kind of drug taking for me and then drug taking it will be getting father and it is every thing alright.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 15 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

I have already told you about drugs you have to take. I am repeating that again.

You have to take a ciprofloxacin group of drug to control the underlying infection. Then a coenzyme Q and vitamin E group of drug will be helpful in enhancing the sperm motility and count.

Hope you have the answers.

Regards.