Semen analysis done for sperm count, motility and pus cell. Can I impregnate my wife?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi i have send the reports plz tell
I have recently had my semen analysis done the reports are as follows
Volume 3.5
Ph 8
Fructose detected
Colour grey white
Luquification 20 min
Motality 40
Motality progressive 0%
motality non progressive 40%
motality immotile 60%
sperm count 30mill/ml
Abnormal forms 02%
Head detected 50%
tail 50%
plus cells 8-10
Epithelial 1-2
I wanted to know can i father a child in normal way without goin through ivf or anything else
Presently from last 20 days i have started having medicenes namely fertisure m (contains zinc)
This medicine also contains i carnitine
Lycopene usp
And astaxanthin
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 45 minutes later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

Your reports indicate that your sperm volume, pH, liquefaction time, colour, count, abnormal forms look within normal limits.

However there is problem with sperm motility. Ideally sperm must be able to move forward (i.e. swim) through cervical mucus to reach an egg. A high percentage of sperm that cannot swim properly may impair a man's ability to father a child.

In your case 60% of sperms are not moving & 40% are moving but not moving in forward direction, so this could hamper you from fathering a child by natural means.
There are also 8-10 pus cells, suggesting infection (pyospermia).

Don't worry modern advances in infertility treatment like IVF has helped numerous people to successfully father a child. Be under the care of an infertility specialist, follow his advice. Zinc supplementation is good.

If you have further queries, I am happy to help. Otherwise close the query and kindly rate it.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami

Follow-up: Semen analysis done for sperm count, motility and pus cell. Can I impregnate my wife? 9 hours later
Thanks doctor for your reply.
Is there any way to increase the motality
And what is plus cells (is this white blood cells)
And i am overweight weighing around 102 kgs.
I also had throat infections around 45 days earlier and i had taken some antibiotics for the same.

Now plz suggest after taking above factor into considerations that can i father a child through natural ways or not

And what should i do to increase motality
Further my wife was also detected with PCOS but now after treatment her all the reports are fine

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 5 hours later

The fertisure you are taking will help in improving the quality & motility of your sperms. So are other measures like,

1. Weight reduction (Research shows that obesity negatively affects sperm quality, reducing both sperm count and sperm movement)
2. Eating healthy diet containing fruits & vegetables
3. Avoiding stress, smoking & alcohol.

Still these natural methods take their own time and we cannot give 100% guarantee.

Pus cells means white blood cells and it suggests infection and you need to be treated for it. The throat infection & its treatment are not related to this.

Since your wife is also having PCOS, I would strongly suggest that you both opt for assisted reproductive techniques after consulting a infertility specialist.

If you have further queries, I am happy to help. Otherwise, close the query and kindly rate it.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami

Follow-up: Semen analysis done for sperm count, motility and pus cell. Can I impregnate my wife? 5 hours later
Sir
Thaks for your reply
I would like to ask you two more questions
Firstly in my last semen analysis there were no white blood cells present, although matality was(all sperms show sluggish). Every thing else was fine.

Secondly,
What does wearing loose clothes means.
I wear jeans that is tight from waist but loose from bottom and i wear breifs instead of boxers
Or shall i wear jeans loose from waist also and loose from bottom and also should i wear boxers ???

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 4 hours later
Hi again,

Regarding your first question- 8- 10 pus cells may suggest infection. More elaborate tests need to be done to confirm infection and infection do reduce sperm motility. There is no harm in taking a course of antibiotics, rather than going for expensive, elaborate tests.

wearing loose cotton clothing is preferable than wearing tight jeans.however you wear jeans are considered tight clothing, similarly boxers are better than briefs.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami