Semen analysis done. What treatment should be done for active cell and liquification time?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
the liquefication time of my semen is over 1 hr and active cell is 50% please tell me how can treat this? IS THIS A MAJOR PROBLEM IN PREGANANCY? ISSUELESS AFTER 10 YEAR OF MARRIAGE IN TEN YEAR ONLY TWO TIMES CONCEIVE BUT ABORT AFTER 2-3 MONTHS IN BOTH CASE.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Hello
Kindly attach the entire report of your semen analysis in order to help me assist you better.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Follow-up: Semen analysis done. What treatment should be done for active cell and liquification time? 9 minutes later
Quantity 1ml
Reaction Alkaline
liquify time 4 hr
Total count 30million
Active motile 50%
Sluggishly 20%
DEAD 30%
PUS CELL 2-4/H.P.F

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hi again.
A normal semen analysis is defined as below :
Ejaculate volume: 2 to 6 mL
Viscosity: liquefies within 1 hour
Gross and microscopic appearance: semen should be opaque or cream colored
Sperm count: greater than 20 million per mL
Sperm motility at 1 and 3 hours: greater than 50%
Sperm morphology: more than 60% are normal

As you can see, your report is normal, apart from the liquefaction time.
An abnormally long semen liquefaction time may be due to infection or disorder of accessory gland function.

You require thorough evaluation by a Uroandrologist, for a thorough clinical checkup, investigations and appropriate treatment. In my opinion a course of antibiotic and some precautions will help you. Precautions are: stop smoking and alcohol, and drug use like steroids. Avoid exposure to heat and environmental toxins. Drink more water. Increase fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet. Take antioxidants like Vitamin E, glutathione, selenium, zinc etc. by prescription.

It maybe due to improper function of prostate gland. It may even be due to prostatitis. You can get a semen culture done to diagnose any latent infection .

For two abortions get other work up done also
1. Genetic abnormalities in fetus or in couple.
2. Autoimmune disorders , blood group incompatibility in mother, maternal diseases like diabetes, hypothyroidism etc.
3. Abnormalities in size and shape of uterus and cervix.
4. Hormonal imbalances
5. Intrauterine infections.

Your report is normal, and does not seem to be responsible for abortions or infertility.
Please consult a Uroandrologist and an Infertility specialist.

Take care, and feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Semen analysis done. What treatment should be done for active cell and liquification time? 7 hours later
we have take two chances for ivf but both fail .in second time doctor tell me that semen liquefication time is excess and is infected. It is not good for ivf. I want to know Mam that in ivf is it matter?

MY WIFE'S TEST
UTERUS IS NORMAL IN SIZE,OUTLINE,ECHOTEXTURE.
ENDOMETRIAL ECHO IS CENTRAL AND MEASURES 4-5MM .BOTH OVARIES ARE NORMAL IN SIZE, OUTLINE AND ECHOTEXTURE. NO ABNORMAL ADNEXAL MASS IS SEEN . MINIMUM FLUID IS SEEN IN THE POUCH OF XXXXXXX

TB ELISA(IGM) 1.64 A.I. DATED ON 12-3-2012
BEFORE OUR FIRST IVF
SHOULD WE TREAT THIS

In IVF and ICSI this should not matter, as sperm is adequately processed.
Your wife's reports are normal.
There could be other reasons for IVF failure, as it is effective in only 35 to 40 % of cases.