Semen analysis done. What does the reports suggest? Is it possible to have a baby?

Infertility Specialist

My semen analysis results are below. My wife's Gynecologist has recommended that I visit a urologist based on "below normal sperm shape".

Can you give a second opinion? Also what is the general outlook? Is this condition treatable? Is it possible to have a baby with/without some kind of treatment? We have been trying for 4 months without luck. I am 30 and she is 27. We both don't have any bad habits like drinking/smoking etc. I drink 3 cups of coffee a day.

Collected : 0844
Received : 0848
Examined : 0850
Appearance : Normal
Volume,Seminal Fld : 0.93 L (Out of Range) [ Reference Range : 2-6- ]
Viscosity,Seminal Fld : Moderate
Active : 80
Sluggish : 10
Non-Motile : 10
Forward Progression : 90
Normal : 37.4 L (Out of Range) [ Reference Range : 70.0-100.0- ]
Total Abnormal : 62.6 H (Out of Range) [ Reference Range : 0.0-29.0- ]
Bacteria : None seen
WBC,Seminal Fld : Few
RBC,Seminal Fld : None seen
Epithelial Cells : None seen
Count/mL [Semen] : 80.10
Total Count/Volume : 74.5L (Out of Range) [ Reference Range : >80]
Comments, Seminal Fld : Semen Morphology bassed on WHO 4th edition
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

I understand your concerns. You have plenty of good news. Following are my suggestions / reply:

1) Your total sperm count / ml is normal.

2) Motility of sperm is excellent.

3) Morphology (appearance) is little low. But good news is that it is not a major concern.
Current scientific evidence does not support the excessive emphasis laid upon morphology. Moreover it changes soon. Just maintain healthy diet and exercise. Try to be stress free.

4) All other parameters are normal.

According to the reports, I do not find any serious concerns to make you worry. Further I don't see any problem to restrict your ability to parent a child.

I advice you relax and keep trying for pregnancy.

As per my opinion, you need not see an urologist. I am sure it won't be a problem.

If you are still concerned, repeat the semen test after 2 months from a different laboratory. I am sure you will do just fine.

I hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need more information.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility specialist
Follow-up: Semen analysis done. What does the reports suggest? Is it possible to have a baby? 21 hours later
Thank you very much Dr XXXXXXX I have one more question. What about the semen volume? It looks like mine is only around 1ml. Are there any medications to increase it? I collected the semen in the hospital where I was not really comfortable. I did try collecting semen sample at home for home sperm count kit and during that time, the volume was somewhere around 1.25 to 1.5 ml. Is that enough or is it too low?

Your semen volume is also just fine. There is no need to worry. It is normal to have 1ml semen. Just relax. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol