Semen analysis done. Am I having any serious problem?

May 2013
Doctor My name is XXXXXXX I am from Kerala. Today i underwent Semen Alalysis. report: PH - Alkaline, Motile 50%, Non motile 40%, Sluggish 10%, Pus cells: 1-3/ HNF MORPHOLOGY: Longtailed, Giant headed forms are seen, Sperm Count 2.0 Million/ml. Is my health ok? Do i have any serious problem? Please help me doctor.. i'm very depressed
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

According to your report:
Motility and pH are in normal range.
Though giant headed forms are abnormal, if normal forms are around 30% that can be considered as normal.
Sometimes sperm precursor cells can be mistaken for pus cells, so if there are no signs of infection no need to bother about them.
Sperm count is low. Below 20 million/ml is called oligospermia.
There are many causes for oligospermia like:
Pretesticular causes like alcohol, smoking, hypogonadism, strenuous riding of bicycle etc.
Testicular causes like varicocele, trauma, hydrocele etc.
Post testicular causes like obstruction in vas deference etc.

Treatment depends on the cause of the problem.
Don't worry most of these problems are treatable. So you once consult XXXXXXX and get physical examination done.
Then depending on clinical findings and semen analysis the cause can be identified and treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Semen analysis done. Am I having any serious problem? 8 hours later
Mam, Can this Giant Headed Form can be treated? what does actully mean by giant headed form?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later

Giant headed form is a morphological abnormality of sperms in which the head of the spermatozoa will be too big.
This can cause infertility as the sperm with big head cannot pass through the protein coat surrounding the ovum.
The causes of this abnormality could be genetic trait, increased testicular temperature, exposure to toxic substances etc.
The abnormal genetic trait is irreversible. Whereas other causes can be treated.
Some amount of abnormal forms can be seen generally also. But if normal forms are of sufficient percentage then the possibility of conception is there.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.