Semen analysis done. Am I able to impregnate my wife?

my semen analysis report as follows
total count -53million/ml
normal morphology-60%
mortality(immidiate aftr liquification-47%
mortile desity-25million/ml
rapid frwrd prog mort-19%
slw frwrd prog mort-15%
non prog mort-13%
non mortile-53%
is it enough for conception?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 46 minutes later

As per your semen analysis report, the count and the volume are within normal limits; so also is the morphology. The motility is slightly on the lower side, but it is too early to say that it is insufficient. The progressive motility is a better criterion to assess motility, when grade a&b (forward progression) together is reported to be around 50%.

As such, this should be enough for conception. Please remember, for conception to occur evaluation of the female factor as well as timing of the intercourse about the fertile days is also important. Natural conception rate is 90% by the end of a year of trying to conceive and investigation is undertaken only after this period.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Semen analysis done. Am I able to impregnate my wife? 10 hours later
how can i improve my progresive motality which is (19%), by natural process(eg what food to consume) i am a nonvegeterian.. should i schedule my intercourse for the fertile days or can have every day bcos my sperm report is on the lower side.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

There are no known medications to improve sperm motility. Studies have shown that caffeine, Gossypol and dibutyryl cAMP help to increase motility. If this is your first semenalysis report, you should see a uroandrologist who will assess you completely for other factors that could possibly affect your semen production status and give advice. You would be asked to repeat the test after a gap of 3 months.

You should avoid alcohol, smoking, stress, playing games that could put stress on the private parts and activities like biking. It is essential that excess heat exposure to the scrotum is avoided as heat causes decline in sperm production. Excessive mobile phone use and radiation exposure could lead to altered semen production.

You may take foods XXXXXXX in vitamin C, vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, Carnitine and can take supplements also. Fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, milk and almonds are XXXXXXX foods.

You may time your intercourse to around the fertile days on at least alternate days as the ovum has a very short life span of a maximum of 24 hours. You need not abstain the rest of the time but try to maintain a gap of 3-4 days to help improve the quality by the time of fertile period.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please feel free to ask if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Semen analysis done. Am I able to impregnate my wife? 6 hours later
is my body weight (78 kg,ht 5'6") one of the cause of low motility factor? is the sperm count and moility count enough for IVF?

Your BMI is around 27. You are slightly on the higher side (overweight). Some studies have shown that obesity can cause decreased sperm mobility though it may not affect the sperm count and semen quality. According to these studies, reduction in some weight may be helpful. More than the BMI-linked obesity, it is the amount of abdominal fat that has a negative impact on the sex hormones.

Your sperm count and motility are pretty good for ICSI and IVF; they are also useful for ICI.

Hope I have answered all your questions. If you have no further clarifications, please close this discussion and rate this answer. You can contact me whenever you want in future queries. I will be ready to help.

Wish you good health.