Self test urine kit showed the reading as glucose 20. What does this indicate?

Endocrinologist
Question
I got a self test urine kit the reading is glucose fonr 20 2% 111 2000 ketone 0. I am having some pain. I am in Croatia right now and do not know what to do will be here till sept 2014. the doctor her told me last week that I had to wait for it to get worse. I do not think they know what to do. I emailed my doctor in XXXXXXX but will not hear back from him tell monday
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: ?diabetes Detailed Answer: could you clarify the typo in your first sentence 'fornr'. did you mean for? do you have diabetes ?

Follow-up: Self test urine kit showed the reading as glucose 20. What does this indicate? 37 minutes later
no that is the word that was on the testing strip bottle for the . yes I have diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Check blood sugar Detailed Answer: Do not bother checking sugar in urine. The only time you need to do a urine strip test is when you suspect 'ketosis' ie development of keto-acids in the body that sometimes occurs in diabetes as an acute complications associated with blood sugars higher than 250-300 mg/dl persistently. I see you are on lantus and homolog. Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? How long approximately have you had diabetes? Till you hear from your doctor, just keep taking your lantus and humalog correctly to keep your sugars in check.

Follow-up: Self test urine kit showed the reading as glucose 20. What does this indicate? 44 minutes later
I have had diabetes for 40 years I do not know if it is type 1 or 2

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer: possibly type 1 Detailed Answer: Usually type 1 diabetes affects individuals at a relatively younger age as opposed to type 2 diabetes, although in the last decade that has changed too. Use the urine strips to check for ketones when your blood sugars are persistently high and you want to see if your body is making ketones. If so, it is not a good sign and you must promptly contact your doctor.