Self healing recurrent swelling on the cheeks. No dental problems. What are the possible causes?

I have a swelling in my left cheek which keeps recurring once in 3 weeks. The general physician asked me to consult a dentist. The dentist has ruled out any problem related to gums or teeth since there is no pain . The swelling subsides on its own in 4/5 days time without taking any medication. Can you pls advise what this could be related to.?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for your recurring cheek swelling but in absence of any dental cause, I can think of 2 possibilities.

The first consideration is an occlusion in the gland or blockage of the duct leading to the mouth (the duct exits into the mouth in the cheek across from the upper second molars). This might cause interference of production and drainage of saliva leading to pain, irritation and swelling. The reasons of obstruction could be a simple mucous plug, stone or tumor, inflammation and infection.

Second possibility is of any cyst or benign growth.

I suggest you to consult an ENT surgeon or a general surgeon for a detailed clinical examination. You may also need certain investigations like sialography and ultrasound or CT scan of the area.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wish you good health.