Seizures in 3 month old, now 7 months old. Dr advises ketogenic diet. Is it safe to start right now ?

Question
Hi my son had seizures which started in his 3rd month now hez 7 month old, tried all medicines now the pediatric neurologist says he has to undergo ketogenic diet. Can we start the diet rightnow? i head Ketocal formula helps in seizures control please advise but it is not available in india please help me out in this issue. and his body and neck is still not stiff please advise.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

A Ketogenic diet is simple which is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate.

Such diets if not available in formula feeds in your locality you can prepare one of your own.

The basic idea is to provide low carbohydrates to the baby so that the fat is burnt in to ketones which is used as energy source instead of glucose.When this happens the seizures are prevented.

Do consult our dietician providing details like the type of foods you are feeding the baby since weaning and the other details like weight and exact age of the baby.Do follow the below given link.

WWW.WWWW.WW
I shall discuss with the dietician and advice you to prepare a formula which is a good ketogenic diet.Also home mades are not contaminated with preservatives hence I would recommend them above those available in market.

His body and neck is stiff ?
Do you mean that he is till not able to have his head control.
Here I would like to know some details of your baby like

The gestation age when the baby was delivered ?
Did the baby cry immediately after birth ?
What were the medications given to the child ?
Were you on any medications other than Iron and folic acids during your antenatal period.

Anticiapting your response.

Follow-up: Seizures in 3 month old, now 7 months old. Dr advises ketogenic diet. Is it safe to start right now ? 22 hours later

Thanks a lot for ur response, when we lift him up in our shoulder he puts his head down not lifting his head.

38 week
yes
incubator care inj. Vit K 2 mg orally stat IV Oframax 75mg BD for five days
no

Please consult dietitian and let me know the formula for ketogenic diet

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Based on the history provided I would consider to rule out serious conditions causing the such problems in your child.

Need not worry.

The formula diet either will be explained on phone or via mail in a very detailed manner .I would recommend it to be an integrated approach rather than a second level advice.Do consult the dietician who shall take required information from me and help you well in formulating the diet.

Wish you good health.

regards,