Seizures, changed medicine from Epilim liquid to Epilim chromo. Medication contents in stool. Concern as the medicine not being absorbed?

My 7yr old daughter gets has changed from Epilim liquid to Epilim chrono (400mg) but there appears to be loads of the medication coming out in her stools (looks the same as it went in) should I be concerned the medication is not being absorbed, my daughter has life threatening seizure and do not want to find the answer to this the hard way!!!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Epilim chrono is a prolonged-release formulation with granules coated with an indigestible cellulose shell, which allows the sodium valproate to be released slowly. These shells may sometimes be visible as a white residue in the stools. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
These indigestible cellulose shells does not mean that the drug is not properly released in the body.
To be doubly sure you can get the serum valproate levels checked in her blood sample before taking the next dose.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.