Seizure, gilbert's syndrome. Related?

Question
my husband just had his first seizure and was taken to the emergency room. the neurologist put him on a seizure med. He stayed in the hospital for 3 days after which he went to see his primary provider who at that time diagnosed him with Gilbert's Syndrome. Is Gilbert's Syndrome and seizures related to each other in any way?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

XXXXXXX syndrome is a mild liver disorder in which the liver doesn't properly process a substance called bilirubin which is formed by breakdown of red blood cells. It is caused by an inherited gene mutation. Being a liver disorder it causes jaundice, abdominal pain, weakness and fatigue. There is no relation between Gilbert’s syndrome and seizures.

Your husband had seizures and the cause of that needs to be ascertained. Gilbert’s syndrome is not related to seizures. Seizures are caused by sudden, abnormal electrical activity in the brain and can be caused by many causes.

These include abnormal levels of sodium or glucose in the blood, brain causes, high fever, infections like meningitis, encephalitis, neurosyphilis, kidney and liver failure, alcohol withdrawal and withdrawal from ceratin drugs. He needs a comprehensive and through examination and investigations from a physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing your husband a good health.

Follow-up: Seizure, gilbert's syndrome. Related? 9 hours later
Thank you so much Dr. XXXXXXX for answering my question. A few weeks before my husband had his seizure he had an accident and injured his mandible hinge. He had severe headaches, could not open his mouth, could not eat. His oral surgeon put him on a predisonme (don't think this is correct spelling) taper pack. He was still taking this med when the seizure occured. I understood your answer and I hope this is not a silly question but could this accident have triggered or contributed to the seizure. Thank you for your time. P. S. He has an appt. to see his primary provider for follow up and also an appt. in July to see the neuro doctor who treated him while in hospital.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

There's a possibility that the accident could have precipitated the seizure. A small contusion to the brain at the time of the injury can alter the electrical circuit of the brain precipitating the seizure.

An MRI and an EEG of the brain can help in finding the focus of the damage to the brain at the time of the accident.

However, the other possibility is that there was no damage to the brain at the time of the accident and seizure was in no way related to the accident.

Wishing your husband a good health.