Seeing flashing lights in night. No headache and trauma. Have cholesterol.

I started seeing flashing lights almost like XXXXXXX lightninng last night before i went to bed and now i am still ha\iving it. It is only occurring in the right lateral field, mostly high up migrating down. No headache, trauma, I am very healthy and active except hight cholesterol, zocor. i am a gynecologist but i don't know much about neurology or ophthalmology. It is 0600 here, but i will contact my own doctor soon.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should see an ophthalmologist

Detailed Answer:

Flashes can be due to two reasons.
1) Posterior vitreous detachment.
Sometimes a section of the vitreous pulls the fine fibers away from the retina all at once, rather than gradually, causing flashes and floaters to appear suddenly. This is called a vitreous detachment, which in most cases is not sight-threatening and requires no treatment.

2) Retinal tear or hole.
This requires immediate attention as leaving it untreated can cause a retinal detachment.

Only a competent ophthalmologist can diagnose these. So please see an ophthalmologist at the earliest.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah
Follow-up: Seeing flashing lights in night. No headache and trauma. Have cholesterol. 13 minutes later
thanks very much. OUr optometrist friend just told me the exact same thing, and I have a call in to the local opthalmologist, I will let you know.

It was a unilateral PVD, the retinas are fine. Thanks again. I am very relieved of course
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to help you

Detailed Answer:

Glad to know it is only a PVD. The flashes will disappear over time. Take care.

Dr.Mihir Shah