Second pap smear result showed positive HPV. What does it indicate?

Question
Hello, I just got my second papsmear result n they just told me I was positive for HPV!! I don't have any idea of what could b done or what is HPV until I go to see my ginecologist!! Can u help me out ?? What should I do ? How could I have gotten that ?? Is it only thru sex??
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 minutes later
Hello
HPV is a viral infection. Its contracted through sexual means usually. Its an infection that usually is self limiting and may produce long term effects. HPV is a risk factor for cervical cancer.Antibiotics wont help at this point other than to cover super-added infection. You will need to get regular pap smears for follow up to check for any changes in tissue.Other than that its a self limiting infection but usually remains dormant in the body.

Follow-up: Second pap smear result showed positive HPV. What does it indicate? 2 minutes later
N how would this affect my sexual life?? Would something b visual or symptoms ?? Should I be alarm for this ?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 minutes later
Your sex life shouldnt be affected. But it would be advisable to inform your partner about the infection and use barrier protection. Only in the long term if the infection aggravates, there may be some symptoms like warts,ulcers etc. As i said,regular monitoring is important.

Follow-up: Second pap smear result showed positive HPV. What does it indicate? 7 minutes later
HPV is not curable ? How can my health n my husbands health be affected?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
Its not completely curable but if the infection remains dormant in your body,most people dont get affected in their lives. But in case active infection occurs,there may be risk of cervical cancer. That where the regular follow ups come in.In men also mostly the infection lies dormant.Warts etc may be symptomatic in case of active infection.Mostly the infection is self limiting but needs regular follow ups.

N how would the wards look. ??? If there something else they cando like removing the womb ?

Warts are like small growths or like skin tags. they can be removed is necessary. Removing the uterus isnt necessary for that. Just have yearly pap smears and go according to your doctor's advice if there are any changes.

Follow-up: Second pap smear result showed positive HPV. What does it indicate? 4 minutes later
Thank u very much for ur time to answer my doughts !!! Iam really scared I never thought I would get this cuz I have only b sexually active with my husband for many many years

Happy to help.

Follow-up: Second pap smear result showed positive HPV. What does it indicate? 5 hours later
Hello again!! What about kissing ? Do I need to stop kissing ?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 hours later
No thats not a problem.

Follow-up: Second pap smear result showed positive HPV. What does it indicate? 1 hour later
N what about towels ?? I wouldn't like to give it to my kids?? It's HPV contagious ? What precautions should I take with my partner n my kids ?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Sexual intercourse is the method of transmission.Oral sex might also be a problem if the infection is active. Otherwise its not a problem. Its not usually transmitted by towels etc. HPV vaccines are safe and effective and recommended for youngsters.
Condom should be used to prevent transmission to your partner.

Follow-up: Second pap smear result showed positive HPV. What does it indicate? 5 minutes later
My partner has been my only partner so if I have he has to have it too??? I'd he does how would this affect him if he is Diabetic?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 minutes later
Diabetes isnt a problem with hpv.It wont affect that. Well,your partner may have it also depending on his immune system but just in case,he isnt use protection.

So for the rest of our lives we need to use protection?? Iam really stressing up on this !! Is there any web I can research on this topic ?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 minutes later
The infection is self limiting. The virus runs itself out after a few months. You can google HPV and you will get a lot of information from the web.

Follow-up: Second pap smear result showed positive HPV. What does it indicate? 3 minutes later
Thank u very much

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 minute later
Happy to help.