Sebaceous cyst on head has odor, not leaking or ruptured. Does the new odor mean it is going to rupture?

Question
I'm 29 years old. I've had a sebaceous cyst for several years on my head. Dr. told me not to worry about it a few years ago, and i haven't. BUT tonight I noticed it has an odor. It is not leaking or ruptured, but i am worried it might. does the "new" odor mean it is going to rupture or that there is an infection that needs to be treated ASAP? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
The foul smelling odor is from the sebum that is trapped inside the cyst. There must have been slight leakage of the contents causing the smell. It is not indicative of an infection or impending rupture.
You need to clean the area thoroughly with soap and water to get rid of the smell.
Doing a hot fomentation will also help in finding out if actually there is a leakage.
If the smell persists then you can get the cyst removed surgically to get rid of the smell.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.