Sebaceous cyst infection on leg, painful red patches, swelling in leg due to varicose veins?

I have a knot that came up on my leg around where I have trouble with vericose veins. I had some pain and had it checked out by a doctor in an express care. He said it was superficial and was not XXXXXXX It's been 5 days and the pain had almost went away, when all of a sudden it started hurting again, and now my leg is swollen and tight, and has some red patches on it? Is this something that can wait to be seen until I can scedule an appoointment, or should I do something else?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

A superficial swelling on the leg with pain might be an infected Sebaceous cyst which can be treated with oral Antibiotics and removal of the cyst.

But the swelling of the leg with appearance of some red patches might be suggestive of something like XXXXXXX vein thrombosis( DVT) which needs an immediate attention to prevent spreading of the clots. Appearance of red patches may be related to a bleeding or coagulation disorder as well.

In DVT, the earlier the diagnosis, better are the chances of complete recovery.

I would suggest you to not wait till the morning and attend to an Emergency Room immediately for proper evaluation and to undergo the required investigations.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Sebaceous cyst infection on leg, painful red patches, swelling in leg due to varicose veins? 1 hour later
what kind of test will determine if it is dvt?
can vericose veins cause my ankles to swell?

Thanks for writing again.

For DVT( XXXXXXX Vein Thrombosis), color doppler study of the veins of lower limbs will be helpful in diagnosis.

Blood coagulation profile with APTT, PT, are also needed to detect the tendency of clot formation.

Varicose veins can cause swelling of feet but it is usually not associated with pain and the reddish rashes.

Wishing you an early recovery.