Scrotum swelling due to rectal cancer surgery?

If having surgery for rectum cancer last year can cause my scrotal to swell up to the size like a football?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. If you had a surgery of rectal cancer last year and now the scrotum has enlarged to a size equivalent to a football, it is unlikely to be related to the rectum cancer surgery but it can be due to a benign or malignant tumor of the scrotum independently.

Such an enlargement of the scrotum can also be due to hydrocele testis which is a collection of sterile fluid in the cord attached to the testicle, which is invariably harmless. Left untreated, a hydrocele can grow to a large size (even a football) and cause discomfort.

It can be demonstrated by shining a flashlight (transillumination) through the enlarged portion of the scrotum. If the scrotum is full of clear fluid, as in a hydrocele, the scrotum will light up unlike a tumor which being a solid does not light up. An ultrasound may be done to confirm the diagnosis and is one of the best tests. I suggest you to consult a general surgeon and get done these tests to confirm the diagnosis.

If it is a hydrocele it has to be drained surgically.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.