Scrotal sonogram tast showed mild thickening of the right epididymal tail. What does that mean?

Urologist
Question
I got this result in my scrotal sonogram
Interpretation:
Mild thickening of the right epididymal tail? due to acute or chronic epididymitis

Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Welcome to the forum.
This means there is/was inflammation of the epididymis (sperm collecting tubes) depending on the duration of the illness.
This is usually due to bacterial infection and it can take upto 3 months to resolve completely.
Antibiotics are needed for three weeks from the start of the illness.

Now you need only scrotal support ( not to hang it loose).

Sex/masturbation can be done if you comfortable, as there is no medical reason not to have sex.
If the discomfort persists beyond three months, we need to reassess at that time.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
DR GS

Follow-up: Scrotal sonogram tast showed mild thickening of the right epididymal tail. What does that mean? 11 hours later
Thanks Dr. G XXXXXXX for your answer,

The thing is that because I was without pain when I saw my GP then she did not prescribe me anything, now the mild/moderate pain came back. You think it will be still effective if I take antibiotics?( I have never take it for this and as I said earlier the pain started in February, sonogram done first week of March, I was pain free whole month of April and then pain come back Friday last week)if still effective, what TYPE OF ANTIBIOTIC is the most appropriate( name of the antibiotic) for : Mild thickening of the right epididymal tail? due to acute or chronic epididymitis. I have heard that sometimes is hard for the antibiotic to reach that part of the body. This Thursday I am going to see my GP, do you think she will be able to give me that prescription or it is better to see a urologist in person? what you recommend me to prevent a relapse in the future? Thank you for you answer

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 14 hours later
Welcome back.
The doctor needs to assess you clinically and if necessary refer you to the urologist in case, she is not able to arrive at a conclusion.
Scan helps us if there is a doubt in clinical diagnosis and we cannot treat on scan findings alone.
I saw 2 classical epididymo- orchitis yesterday and was confirmed on the scrotal scan.
I have prescribed ciprofloxacin for three weeks which is the usual medicine.
Medicines can reach the epididymis and you can see the response in a few days.
Prevention, unfortunately, is not in your hands.
Best regards

Follow-up: Scrotal sonogram tast showed mild thickening of the right epididymal tail. What does that mean? 35 hours later
Dr. G XXXXXXX
Thank you again for your answer,
My GP prescribed ciprofloxacin 500 mg she said'' Take 1 tablet twice daily for 4 weeks''so instead of 3 weeks as you said. Do you think this is the right dose for epididymitis? and then the pharmacist said'' avoid calcium, iron or multivitamins 6 hours before and 2 hours after this medication''. What else can I do to make more effective the treatment? Am I on the Right Path?

Thank you again

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 42 minutes later
Welcome back.
You are on the right path.
4 weeks is also ok. Usually it is given for a minimum of 3 weeks.
Scrotal support (tight underwear) will help.
I do not think anything else is necessary.
best regards