Scratchy throat, cough. No symptoms in the day time

During the day time I'm fine but will get a scatchy throat and cough a few times during the day. Once the sun goes down it gets worse once I go to bed it's really bad where I start to cough uncontrollably to the point I see starts, gag and or vomit. This has been going on for almost 4 weeks now. Every night it's so bad I plan on seeing the doctor the next day. When I get up I'm fine so I go to work as normal.
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and will try to help you.
Since there can be various reasons for your problem,i need to ask some information from you to narrow down the possible causes.
Are you a smoker?
Are you taking any medication like for blood pressure?
Do you have any fever or body ache or fatigue or shortness of breath?
Any history of weight loss ?
Any symptom of night sweats?
Are you a patient of chronic sinusitis?
Any blood tinged sputum?
Any pain chest?
Any swelling in your leg?
Do you feel regurgitation of stomach contents in your mouth?

Please supply these informations so that we can take our discussion ahead.
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Scratchy throat, cough. No symptoms in the day time 2 hours later
Hi Doc,

Here are the answers:

Not a smoker

On no medication been taking cold meds like cough syrup, sudafed, neo citron and even antihystamine all of which have done nothing or no effect.

1 night of possible fever. Was just watching tv coughing but fine otherwise then I just to to swet like I ran a marathon but I didn't feel ill at all. The next morning I had either a heat rash or hives down my left arm from armpit to wrist. Some on my right arm but it has since disappeared and not returned.

no weight gain

1 night of fever or night swets as mentioned above.

had deviated septum surgery 3 to 4 years ago but never given a diagnoses of sinusitis

no blood sputum

no chest pain.

no swelling in legs.

no reguritation in mouth or acid reflux

Other then the vicious night coughing I feel 100% normal. One strange thing happened a couple of weeks ago and not since is a thick white film layering the inside of my mouth and on my toungue. I litterally peeled this film off my toungue like a snake shedding its skin. Again this hasn't happened since.

Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Although you have not mentioned about breathlessness but Your feedback has ruled out various diseases like
Gastroesophageal reflux disease ( GERD)
Lung cancer
Due to anti hypertensive medicines etc
Your symptoms could be due to mild asthma or may be related to your heart as in congestive cardiac failure or pulmonary eosinophilia
You must consult a doctor for the investigations and treatment.
Investigations required are X-ray,complete blood count including total eosinophil counts,pulmonary function tests and may be echo cardiogram.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.