Scratched out a pimple which was swollen later. Is it a lymph node?

ENT Specialist
bump under ear after scratching a pime

Hello. I had a pimple in my outter ear and I scratched it and after that a bump was swollen under my ear (bellow my ear and above my jaw bone ) is that normal ? Is it a lymph node or. Another pimple? Its inside the skin and you can't really see it but can easly be felt. And in the same place under my other ear there is nothing !!
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 53 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The bump below the ear could be a lymph node which has popped up secondary to the infection in the ear.

The lymph node you have noticed below ear could be an infra-auricular or Julodigastric lymphnode, these lymph nodes are noticed whenever there is infection in the external ear and the surrounding region. The pimple in the external ear would have got infected because of which the lymph node has popped up indicating an ongoing infection.

Usually, this lymph node will disappear once the infection in the ear subsides. If you feel it is painful then you need to start on a course of good antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines like Tab.Tylenol twice daily.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon