Scope for barrettes, biopsies, blood in urine. Suggestion?

I had a upper scope for barretts, is it possible that the biopsies
they took caused me to have blood in my urine. I cant see the blood
the urine test found it . I had a ultrascan of my kidneys nothing seen .Thet biopsies and the ultacan were within days of each other.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

Upper GI endoscopy for biopsy in Barret's esophagus is not likely to cause blood in the urine.

Microscopic blood in urine is suggestive of pus cells and protein in the urine.

If it is actually a urinary tract infection, then you need antibiotics to treat your problem.

For symptomatic relief, you need to have plenty of fluids and do take plenty of fresh cranberry juice.

In the urine test you have done, I presume no pus cells were seen.

Another possible cause can be a renal or a urinary tract calculus which is lodged in the tract somewhere and due to the mucosal injury it is causing, slight bleeding is there.

All the calculi are not necessarily detected on ultrasound specially the ones lodged in the ureter. X-ray of KUB region is sometimes more suggestive in ureteric calculi.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.