Sciatica pain,lower back pain,thyroid problem,eltroxin,high blood pressure

General Surgeon
My mother is 50 years old. She has been suffering from SCIATICA pain for nearly 18 months. There is always a painful sensation in her lower back and sometimes the pain goes down to her entire leg. The pain goes worse time to time and she cannot even stand up during that pain. She has Thyroide problems and regularly takes ELTROXIN 100 AND she also has a high BP. What amway products can give her relief? and what should I do to cure her?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later

At the age of 50 years, I would expect her to have attained Menopause and this can lead to osteoporosis ( in osteoporosis bone mineral density is reduced, so chances of micro fracture or other back problems are high).

In osteoporosis chances of compression of vertebrae increases, leading to nerve compression or irritation & pain.

Sciatica is caused by compression or irritation of one of five spinal nerve roots that give rise to each sciatic nerve. Depending upon the side of compression or irritation, pain can occur on left or right or both sides of the body. The pain can be there in the lower back, buttock, or parts of the leg and foot.

In addition to pain either mild, moderate or severe, there may be numbness, muscular weakness, pins and needles or tingling and difficulty in moving. Commonly sign & symptoms are on one side of the body. Pain can be severe in prolonged exposure to cold .

Treatment for sciatica or sciatic symptoms differ, depending upon the underlying cause of the symptoms.

So it would be ideal to get a MRI done to rule out the exact cause.

Medical treatment along with exercises and traction may give her considerable relief.

Intake of calcium and calcium XXXXXXX products must be increased, to add to the bone density.

If medical treatment fails, surgical cure decompression would be the only option left.

I am sorry, as it is difficult for me to comment on the efficacy of the amway products in treating Sciatica.

She is also suffering from hypothyroidism & on Eltroxin. Dose of Eltroxin must be adjusted to bring the thyroid profile with in normal limits.

Hypertension also needs attention & proper treatment must be given to control blood pressure.

So consultation with orthopedic surgeon & physician is essential and beneficial.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish your mother speedy recovery.