Sciatic neuritis, pain, walker used, physical therapy, injection with steroids. Precautions for recurrence ?

About 9 years ago, I suffered greatly from sciatic neuritis. It left me so debilitatled that I had to use a walker, was in excurciating pain, and had to go to physical therapy once the pain was over to learn how to walk all over again. I was treated with an injection right into the sciatic nerve and with steroids. Once "cured" I haven't experienced pain since until now and have some mild symptioms. I am absolutely terrified that this will turn into a full blown episode again. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in sciatic neuritis is usually precipitated by degenerative changes in the spine related to age like disc herniation, disc prolapse or spinal stenosis causing compression on the nerve root producing all the symptoms.
There are not much precautions that you can take to avoid a relapse.
Some general measures that can help you include-
1. Avoid exposure to excessive cold for a long time,
2. Avoid putting a purse in your back pocket of trousers.
3. Use a firm mattress which provides a good support to your back.
4. While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
5. Avoid lifting heavy objects.
6. back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
7. improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Sciatic neuritis, pain, walker used, physical therapy, injection with steroids. Precautions for recurrence ? 12 hours later
Is either heat or ice or a combination of both, ever recommended?
Would strict bedrest, for maybe two days, be warrented?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

For the relief of pain and neuritis, hot fomentation will be helpful whereas cold compress will cause numbness only for short duration but may increase the pain later on due to cold induced injury.

Strict bed rest will definitely reduce the problem if the cause is disc prolapse. But it will not be of much help in other causes.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.