Schizophrenia and TB. Doctor has advised Rcine. Please advise.

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello doctor, My daughter has been diagonised schzirphernia and taking the medicine of Quetipine SR 300mg in the night ,150 mg in the morning, Risdone forte 1 in the morning and afternoon, Rivotril 0.5mg in the night for the last 18 months . Still she is not fully come out of the sickness. Over and above she has been diagonised TB and is advised to take Rcine 450 and glow 500 in the morning and in the night Thermoboutil 1000mg for the last 8 months and TB under control but Doctor is saying that she has to take another 4 to 5 months tablet. Pls advise.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Schizophrenia

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You need to continue her medications for schizophrenia and be under regular follow up of your psychiatrist.

2. She seems to be diagnosed for TB on the basis of mediastinal lymphadenopathy.

3. Since she has gained weight, it is sign of response to anti TB treatment.

4. For skin rashes you need to get a dermatologist opinion and the rashes may be relieved with antihistaminic.

5. Since you have taken 8 months of anti tb drugs. You need to get a repeat CT thorax (in case a previous CT thorax was done) or at least a repeat chest x-ray. At 8 months of anti TB treatment, you definitely need to reassess the mediastinal lymph nodes.

6. The doses of the anti TB drug does not seem to be correct. Remember all anti TB drugs need to taken at the same time. You need to visit a pulmonoilogist for management of TB.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Schizophrenia and TB. Doctor has advised Rcine. Please advise. 15 hours later
Thank you for the answer and it is satisfied. Still i have some more questines

Due to TB medicines, the tablet effect of Schizophernia is becoming less . That is what my psychiatrist tells us. We can get full effect after we stopped the TB medcines. She is studying 12th std and giving her board exam this febraury 2012. She is not able to concentrate fully. She was supposed to give exam last year feb 2011 but due to her health condition we have deferred it. We find there are some symptom like muttering herself, some time laughing,etc. Psychiatrist says this is because of her stress level has gone up and also she is going to face the board exam. Pls advise .

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

The TB drug affecting the psychiatric drug efficacy is “rifampicin”. You can get it substituted by “rifabutin” in consultation with your pulmonologist and thus affects on anti psychiatric medications can be minimised.

Also try to relax her and avoid all the stress triggers.

Take care and Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB