Scheduled to have rhinoplasty. Drank alcohol and used cocaine. Will I be okay or should I push back the date of surgery?

ENT Specialist
Please help! I'm scheduled to have rhinoplasty in 6 days. Last night i was drinking a lot of alcohol and I used cocaine :-( Will i be ok? Should I push back the date of my surgery?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Since your surgery is posted six days from now, there is no harm in consuming alcohol at this stage. But, it is better to refrain from using any sort of recreational drugs as this can have adverse effects of your body when anesthetic gases are administered. To be more precise, it is not advisable to do 'snorting' as this can damage the nasal mucosa and delay in healing of the surgical wounds.

Also, it is better to inform the doctor (anesthetist) before in hand about the above activities. This is because, in those individuals who are chronic consumers of alcohol there is increased tolerance to anesthetic drugs and the amount of anesthetic gases administered to them has to be increased.

Secondly, the post operative pain tolerance will be less compared to that of the normal individuals; hence appropriate analgesic with tailored doses has to be administered.

Henceforth, till your surgery is completed please do not resort to any of these recreational drugs and alcohol.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon