Scheduled to have complete hysterectomy. Ultrasound showing fibroids. Having severe symptoms of PMDD. Sudden anxiety. What to do?

Mar 2016

I am scheduled to have a complete hysterectomy next Tuesday. I am 52 years old and still having periods. In the past couple of years my periods have become very heavy and erratic. My OBgyn doctor gave me a vaginal ultrasound. He found one orange size fibroid and two the size of tangerines. Additionally he found a cystadenomas that he stated was the size of a golf ball. My pap smear came back fine. I have never had a bad pap. He also did a uterine biopsy which also came back fine. My first reason for seeking a hysterectomy was because of PMDD, the symptoms of which were severe, but would go away at the onset of my period. The gynecologist said that nothing he saw concerned him at and he told me that he saw no downsize to the surgery. Does this sound like a typical scenario? I trust my M.D. but suddenly I'm afraid that it may not be benign. I guess I just need to talk about the sudden anxiety I am feeling.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) From your given history and ultrasound scan report, I can assume that best and definite treatment option at your age is total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of both sided ovaries and fallopian tubes (TAH and BSO). It is the gold standard choice for family completed women. After undergoing the operation, you will get relief from PMDD, heavy bleeding due to fibroid and cystadenomas. So, you must consult with your OBGYN to perform scheduled hysterectomy.

2) Fibroid and cystadenomas are mostly benign in nature and rarely malignant. However, histopathological (under microscope) examination of the concerned tissue is required to confirm the nature of tumor. You don't be worried about this and get afraid. Your doctor's point of view is quite right.

3) After hysterectomy, you may require HRT) with conjugated estrogen to cut down menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, headache, sweating, insomnia etc.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take sound sleep to reduce anxiety.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Scheduled to have complete hysterectomy. Ultrasound showing fibroids. Having severe symptoms of PMDD. Sudden anxiety. What to do? 1 minute later
typos..... should read, nothing concerned him at all..............and he told me he saw no down sides to the surgery.
Thank you for your timely, knowledgeable and supportive reply.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for response.

I have understood your concern and doctor's point of view. Obviously, there will be some improvement from current clinical condition following the hysterectomy and downside to the surgery. It is a quite good option for you to avoid certain future risks.

If you have all recent reports like ultrasound scan, pap test, uterine biopsy etc, you can upload those for more clarification and suggestion.

Dr Soumen