Scheduled to have a colposcopy done for thickening of the uterine wall. Want sedation. Possible?

I am 59 and scheduled to have a colposcopy done for a 9 mm thickening of the uterine wall. I am terrified after hearing horror stories as to how painfull this is. I want sedation. I live in Toronto Ca Can I have sedation, or why not do a D&C .thank you ,I only had a slight spotting and my Pap test was normal. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 34 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
The colposcopy is a diagnostic method where the mucosa is visualised by endoscope and can be sampled where suspicion.
At your age any spotting needs a thorogh consideration.
It is not necessary to be horrified, procedure is almost easily done with sedation.
Your anesthetist will assess your physical fitness before giving sedation.
D&C is a general pull out of mucosa with currette and suspected only areas sampling is not possible with D&C.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Scheduled to have a colposcopy done for thickening of the uterine wall. Want sedation. Possible? 3 minutes later
I am still confused as to sedation...did you mean I would get sedation for this procedure.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 25 minutes later
Welcome back.
Yes the procedure is done under sedation to improve the patient comfort levels.
It is short term sedation to cover the duration of procedure and is safe.
I hope your worries would reduce.