Scheduled to get pesery inserted for prolapsed bladder and uterus. Have breast cancer. Does pesery have any estrogen?

Question
I am a 48 year old woman with breast cancer. I now have a prolapsed bladder and uterus and will be getting a pesery inserted. What I'm concerned about is whether the pesery has any estrogen in it asi can't have any estrogen in my body. Can you help me?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later

The vaginal pessary is a plastic device which helps in providing support to the uterus and the prolapsed bladder wall. It does not contain any medication or estrogen in it. You need not worry.

In addition to insertion of pessary, you also need to do perineal floor muscle exercise regularly to strengthen the muscles after consulting your physical therapist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Scheduled to get pesery inserted for prolapsed bladder and uterus. Have breast cancer. Does pesery have any estrogen? 22 hours later
Also, can I just have my gynecologist remove the pesery every couple of months to insert a new one or does it need to be removed more frequently for cleaning?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can remove your pessary every week, clean it and re-insert it yourself. Keeping the pessary clean is necessary to prevent the vaginal infections.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.