Scheduled for surgery, spinal fusion. Having constant tingling/numb feeling in foot. Safe to go for surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm scheduled for surgery on my lower back, a spinal fusion. Though I have back trouble , the fusion, probably L2-L5, is designed to alleviate a constant tingling/numb feeling in my right foot and XXXXXXX caused by stenosis, scoliosis (about 35degrees), and disc degeneration, probably focused at L5-S. I'm reconsidering. My back pain is not severe. I do take some meds but I swim regularly and if not for my foot I would not be seeing a surgeon. Am I nuts? Should I go through with this procedure?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
The tingling and numb feeling in the foot and XXXXXXX is not an indication of surgery. The symptoms suggestive of surgery are pain causing disability, excessive numbness, weakness, loss of urinary or bowel control.
If the tingling and numbness is not debilitating then you can try for medical treatment like methylcobalamin supplements and physical therapy. Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve stimulation can also help you.
In case you have already tried all these options and the numbness is interfering with your daily life style then surgery can be considered.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.