Scheduled for surgery, had been advised against Bayer aspirin, accidentally took 3 days prior surgery. Suggestion?

General Surgeon
I have an out-patient surgery on Tuesday. I take Bayer aspirin one every day!
My doctors office told me to stop taking them 5 days prior to surgery! I forgot to stop. So I took one on Friday and today. So that will give me only Sunday and Monday to NOT take them! Will that be enough time to not take them?.

Thank you! XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Aspirin is a medicine which affects blood clotting (coagulation). When you take the Aspirine, your platelets (cells responsible for proper blood clotting) get blocked and it takes more time for the blood to clot. Such platelet, when once gets blocked, can not be unlocked. So it stays blocked as long as new platelet will exchange the blocked one. And it takes about 7 days.

5 days is absolute minimum for the Aspirin to stop working (some doctors require 7-10 days). Bleeding during the surgery might be XXXXXXX when taking Aspirin. 2 days its is for sure not enough.

I suggest you to contact your surgeon and reschedule your surgery. It will be much safer for you.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.