Scheduled for rhinoplasty and plastic surgery. Should I choose general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
I will be operated on for a Rhinoplasty . The operation will be done to correct the nasal passage, due to swollen turbinates, and nasal bone spur. At the same time they will do a plastic surgery of the nose to make it more aesthetic.( Deviated septum and bulky nose, and fallen).
The Dr, wich is both an OTL and Plastic surgeon, said the operation would last about 3 hours. He is asking me if I want general anesthesia lor local anesthesia with sedation, I said I wanted the later one. Somehow he suggests general anesthesia. I am not conviced of that. Please I want your advice on that.
Also as a vih patient, its been sugggested to me that the use of prednisoloneas the indicated cortizone type drug to avoid inflamation or emergency situatuin. This drug is suppose to have the less inmunological damage to my VHI undetectable status with cd4 599?.
Also the Dr asked me to stop my smoking 1 week before the operation and 2 after, to help with faster healing.
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Surindher 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Though your question is not clear, I am assuming you want my advice if general anesthesia is better or local plus sedation.

Considering all the work that is to be done, yes I personally would prefer to do your procedure under general anesthesia so that you will be comfortable during the procedure and you will not know what is being done and your monitoring can be done properly during the procedure.

But it is a personal preference. Unless you have contraindications for a general anesthesia which your anesthetist will tell you, I would prefer general anesthesia too.

As far as the medication for your VIH and the steroids, yes they have to be given and you can continue what the anesthetist and your physician have advised you pre and post operatively.

As far as smoking is concerned I would VERY definitely want you to cut down and stop for a week before and two weeks after the procedure especially considering other medical condition and age; as smoking affect micro circulation and hence healing.

But since you have be examined and investigated and everything is planned before hand I'm sure you can go ahead with your procedure.

Wish you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Let me know if you have any other queries.