Scheduled for hysterectomy with removal of one ovary. Suggestions

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
My wife is scheduled for a hysterectomy this coming Tuesday, December 17th, After our preop appointment with her OBGYN my wife has decided to keep one ovary. The dr. said that my wife had one ovary with a small cyst and other was fine. The reason my wife wants to remove the one ovary is because her body over produces estrogen and feels if she gets one removed her estrogen levels might balance out so she won't have anymore breast tenderness, etc. I told her I think if the dr, can remove the cyst she should keep both ovaries for hormonal balance, etc. Her dr would not give us an answer either way of which would be best.. Please help.
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 31 hours later
Brief Answer: Please weigh the pros and cons Detailed Answer: Ovarian cysts are mostly benign in nature and if size of cyst is larger than 4 cm and there is high risk of ovarian malignancy like rising CEA, it will be justified to remove ovary along with the cyst or else it may be better to remove the cyst only. But your treating Gynecologist will most likely weigh the pros and cons and suggest you best option in this situation. Best wishes Dr Chowhan