Scheduled for fusion of vertebeae and laminectomy. Should I go ahead with the surgery?

May 2014

I am scheduled for fusion of L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5 and laminectomy. Original pain was near tailbone, buttocks, and down both legs toward the back of legs. I got an epidural 9 weeks ago which was my 2nd one. The first one lasted 3 weeks, the 2nd one so far is still working. My surgeon + 2nd opinion surgeon both said I would have back pain forever and to expect that. I want to know why that happens, what causes the pain anatomically. A lot of people say "don't get back surgery whatever you do, it could make the pain worse! Before this last epidural I couldn't stand the pain and was sure of my decision to get surgery, but now that the last epidural has made the pain subside.... I'm not sure I should go ahead with the surgery. Any day now the epidural could wear off and I will be sorry I didn't get the surgery. I keep moving my surgery date and after doing that 3 times they are telling me no more extensions. Does anyone have any advice that would help me make a decision? I have a MRI on a disk, but I'm not sure how to upload to you.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please attach report or upload disc content

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Fusion of vertebeae and laminectomy is done in severe cases of neece root compression and associated disc changed with degenerative changes.

You may go about disussing your MRI scan in two ways.
1. You may attach the MRI scan report with the query.
2. You may upload disc content to file sharing site like Dropbox.

Waiting for an update from your end.