Ask a Dentist   »  

Scheduled for dental work. What alternative can be taken for clindamycin as it caused indigestion?

Question
Yes I am having dental work done in weeks and I really don't want to take clindamycin last time I took it gave me severe indigestion what other antibiotics are there to take ?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Alekhya 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can take azithromycin instead of this Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understood your concerns. If you were my patient I will suggest you to take azithromycin 500mg instead of clindamycin as you will have less side effects. Hope this answers your query. Thank you. WISH YOU A GOOD HEALTH. Regards

Follow-up: Scheduled for dental work. What alternative can be taken for clindamycin as it caused indigestion? 35 minutes later
Even if I had a problem with ertomycin awhile back? He want to give it to me intervinus way and do I really need to take one with having a root canal?

Answered by Dr. Alekhya 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, you need to take as it will be more effective Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for coming up with more details. Usually we suggest antibiotics before rootcanal treatment to prevent acquired infections and also it will be more effective when you take antibiotic along as it will helps relieving pain and swelling more effectively. But before taking any antibiotic intravenously you need to take after test dose. Even simple penicillin is effective in case of dental cover. Hope this helps you. Thank you.

Follow-up: Scheduled for dental work. What alternative can be taken for clindamycin as it caused indigestion? 3 hours later
So You Are Saying I can still Take azithromycin even though My Lip Swelled from erythromycin ? Wont be a conflict I use this antibiotic for years no side effects at all then one day I did so not sure also they are wanting to use propfasol to put me to sleep they say its a safe drug are there any things that may hender someone from using this drug?

Answered by Dr. Alekhya 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Propofol is ised in daycare surgeries Detailed Answer: Hello, If you have side effects with erythromycin then it is not good to use azithromycin. Its advisable to go for cephalosporins. My answer to your previous question was based on the use of taking iv antibiotics before root canal treatment. For this question about propofol it is very safe drug used for daycare surgeries with very less side effects and it is a good anti-emetic too. You can use that drug without any obstruction. Thank you.

Follow-up: Scheduled for dental work. What alternative can be taken for clindamycin as it caused indigestion? 37 minutes later
WOULD THAT BE CEPRO ATIBIOTIC ? Less side effects? FOR PEOPLE WITH STOMACH PROBLEMS?

Answered by Dr. Alekhya 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, ciprofloxacin will have lesser side effects Detailed Answer: Hello, You can take ciprofloxacin also which will have lesser side effects and effective for people with stomach problems. Donot get tensed as these are the drugs commonly used and they will have lesser allergic reactions compared to others. Hope this answers you query. Take care