Scheduled for colonoscopy. Have smoked marijuana. Will it affect anesthetic?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in 2 days and smoke marijuana on occasions. Do I need to be concerned about the effects the marijuana may have on the anesthetic?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

There may be significant effects of habitual marijuana smoking on the body if you require anesthesia for the colonoscopy procedure.

The interaction of anesthesia and cannabinoids is dose related and affects many of the different systems that anesthesia works on.

In the case of anesthesia, the drugs used in it and the cannabinoids, both act on some of the same systems.

This results in decreased or increased reactions depending on the severity of drug usage.

Therefore I advise you to inform your doctor regading the fact of usage of marijuana on occasions and go further as per the doctor advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Scheduled for colonoscopy. Have smoked marijuana. Will it affect anesthetic? 48 minutes later
Wouldn't the pre-colonoscopy prep with all the water consumed remove most of the THC from my system?

Would failure to disclose put me in a life threatening situation?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

The pre-colonoscopy preparation with all the water is to prepare your gut (colon).

And this preparation will clean the colon and the visibility of the colon tissue will be good on the colonoscopy procedure.

And this preparation will not clear the cannabinoids from your system.

With the longterm use of cannabinoids your system will adopt to the changes and effects of THC by altering or enhancing some functions.

As such the failure to disclose the fact of consumption of marijuana may lead to the use of the higher dose of anesthetic drugs to get the desired medical effect and the complications of the increased dose.

Therefore you discuss with your doctor regarding this issue and go further as per his advise.

Regards.