Scheduled for an IUI. Diagnosed with kidney stones and prescribed with hydrocodone bitartrate. Will the medicine affect the sperm?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi , I m scheduled for an iui this morning at 9 am. The appt was scheduled on Wednesday when the sonogram indicated there were two mature follicles. At the same time as my appointment my husband was diagnosed with a kidney stone. He was given a pain killer on Wednesday and discharged with hydrocodone bitartrate w/apap 5mg/325mg. He only used it on Thursday for fear it may harm his sperm for the procedure. The ER doctor said that the meds should not affect his sperm. Is this true? He would really like to take the stronger pain med. or should we give up the iui Appt this morning .
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Today's intake of pain killer won't affect sperm. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX He can take pain killer & go ahead for IUI. Don't worry about effect on sperm quality, as sperm which are going to be used in IUI were produced around 3 months back in testes & today's intake of pain killer won't affect its quality. So you can safely go ahead with IUI. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.

Follow-up: Scheduled for an IUI. Diagnosed with kidney stones and prescribed with hydrocodone bitartrate. Will the medicine affect the sperm? 29 minutes later
What about Wednesday's intake of pain killer in the hospital? I dont know whar they gave him.,..

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Should have no effect on sperm quality. Detailed Answer: Welcome back. Whatever he might have received is very unlikely to have effect on sperm. So you can rest assured & go ahead with IUI. Regards.