Scheduled for abortion. Used Methamphetamine. Will it interact with anesthesia?

Please don't judge me.....ok so I found out I am almost 6 Weeks pregnant. I s.cheduled an abortion for Friday morning. It is currently Monday, 2:45am. I used meth this today and yesterday. So if I don't do anymore, will I be ok to be put to sleep for my abortion?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

I can understand your concern for the interaction between meth and anestaheis to be used during abortion. Medical termination of pregnancy(MTP) by pills(methotrexate,mesoprostol and mifiprestone) is effective only if pregnancy is less than seven weeks. Anytime past seven weeks requires surgical abortion. If you are 6 weeks pregnant then most probably you may be undergoing medical abortion by pills or by D+C(Dilatation and curettage) using anesthesia.

Crystal meth has Methamphetamine which is a CNS (Central nervous system) stimulant.Once absorbed it stays in blood for 24 hours and then is excreted in urine. If you are having abortion scheduled after 4 days, then chances are less likely that it will interfere with anesthesia provided that you do not use it in the next four days. However it is best to tell your anesthetist regarding the use of meth 4 days prior to the procedure.

If you use it again close to your abortion, it may become difficult for your Aneasthetist to calculate the drug dosage and alteration in drugs needed can effect the procedure and also your vitals like blood pressure and pulse. Also they may raise the adrenaline level in the body, and may predispose to cardiac arrhythmias as the body is also increasing its adrenaline in response to stress during the procedure. Chronic use of street drugs may also create cross tolerance to the effects of anesthetics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.