Scheduled for Da Vinci total hysterectomy. Positioning can cause many complications after surgery?

Mar 2016

Hi, I am scheduled for a Da Vinci total hysterectomy tomorrow morning. I'm getting nervous as I found out last Thursday that I will be in a 30 degree head down position, and I looked up articles over weekend that said this positioning can cause many complications after surgery. Can I ask my OBGYN to place me in a more level position for surgery?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

From given history and current clinical condition, Da Vinci total hysterectomy is the procedure of choice. It is a minimally invasive option, designed to overcome the limitations of traditional surgery including complication.

Some advantages are as follows:

1) Less pain than other traditional method.
2) Very few complications & less amount of blood loss.
3) Short duration hospital stay & low risk of wound infection.
4) Quick recovery and return to normal activities.

However, operating table will be tilted down for 15-30 degree with elevation of the foot end during this procedure and it is needed for proper anesthesia, better surgical exposure, robotic camera adjustment and visualizing the surgical field. Gravity would help the surgeon by keeping body parts in the right places and doing the surgery perfectly.

In few cases, it may affect lungs and breathing capacity and laryngeal edema, dyspnea may develop if congestion occurs. It can be overcome by medications and other procedure by your anesthetist. However, you must consult with your OBGYN and anesthesiologist for proper understanding the procedure to avoid risk and complication (if any occurred). It will definitely help in better compliance.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and don't be worried. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through