Scared about lack of sleep, feeling tired, have stomach upset. How can I balance this?

I work in shifts. I work from 2:15pm to 11:15pm shift hours. Recently I started learning German in the morning free time. The classes starts at 7:15am. Night I reach home (after work) at around 12:15am. Morning I should get up by 5:30 so that I could reach Institute timely. Class will get over by 9:30am and I need nearly 2 hours to come home back. I am little scared about the lack of sleep I am experiancing now because I could sleep XXXXXXX 4:30 to 5:00 hours. Some times even Breakfast will get skipped. As a reasult I started feeling tired/exausted all the day, some times I experience stomach up set also. Could you please tell me how can I balance this?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

There is nothing much you can do.

After classes, you reach about 11.30am at home. If it takes about one hour to reach at duty, you have to leave home about 1.15pm. Thus you have about 1.45 hours for lunch and rest. Out of this, you should try to spare about 30 minutes to one hour for rest/sleep.

When you take sleep for less time, ratio of XXXXXXX sleep is more, and if you sleep longer, ratio of XXXXXXX sleep will be less. Thus body tries to adjust itself.

You can take capsule like Revital one daily with food. If you still feel tired, you can sometimes take Tab. Alprazolam 0.25mg before going to bed. If you don't drive while coming back, can take it about one prior to sleep. Be careful, as it can be habit forming. But it will improve quality of sleep, and you may feel more energetic.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma
Follow-up: Scared about lack of sleep, feeling tired, have stomach upset. How can I balance this? 1 hour later
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 49 minutes later

Welcome again,

You should try to improve quality of your sleep by following:-

Daily physical activity improves sleep, thus you should spare some time for exercises daily.

Your sleep environment should be proper to facilitate falling asleep quickly and staying asleep.

You should avoid caffeine containing hot and cold drinks for several hours before going to bed. You should avoid heavy dinner also.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma