Scar on finger, swelling, work on computers, due to cyst removal on nerve. Treatment ?

I have a 7 year old scar on my middle finger that is swelling and uncomfortable. This started less than 1 month ago. I work extensively with a keyboard and mouse. The scar is from a cyst removal that was impinging on a nerve. It's getting more difficult to continue my work. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Two possibilities are there for your symptoms. These are:

1)     Keloid scar formation: Keloid is a scar that rises quite abruptly above the rest of the skin due to repeated irritation (in your case working on keyboard) from an old scar and becomes red, purple, swollen, painful and irritated.

You should have this examined from a dermatologist and discuss the treatment plans with him.

The treatment methods for keloids are:
1)     corticosteroid injections inside the keloids
2)     Pulse XXXXXXX laser
3)     silicone sheets
4)     cryotherapy
5)     injection of interferon
6)     surgery

Mederma, a topical gel containing a extract made from onion and allantoin, can by applied to a scar three or four times a day. An improvement should be noted sometime between eight weeks and six months of treatment.You can also apply vitamin E cream to the area.

Massage can help to soften scars. Roll stiff scars several times daily to break down scar tissue and soften the scars. Pulsed electrotherapy greatly reduces the growth of hypertrophic scars and keloids.

2)     The second possibility because of your profession and the earlier history of nerve compression by a cyst is of any neuropathic pain caused by compression of the underlying nerve.

Although a less likely possibility but needs to be evaluated by a physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.