Scan showed uterus lining was very thin and diagnosed vaginal atrophy. Prescribed oestradiol pessary. Producing white smelly discharge. Cure?

Question
I am 57 and had my menopause 5 years ago. This year I had a transpelvic/ vaginal scan as I had some brownish vaginal discharge, the scan result showed that my uterus lining was very thin and my doctor diagnosed vaginal atrophy and prescribed oestradiol pessary 500mcgs for 15 days. This seemed to do the trick, and on review we she offered me more pessaries, but I don't really want to go on taking the hormones. Since finishing the course 10 days ago I am now producing a creamy/ white discharge , it smells slightly but there is no itching, as far as I can work out this is a common sign of vaginal atrophy, As I said I don't really want to take more hormones and if it means living with the discharge so be it, what I'm more concerned about is by not treating it will it cause me more problems at a later stage? Could you advise

Thank you
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a gram stain and culture of discharge and follow

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic.
The problem you are having is called atrophic vaginitis. It is frequently treated with local estrogen creams or pessaries with good results.
The thick white secretions may be under the effect of estrogen or it may be infection due to Candida a type of Yeast.
You should get a Gram stain and microscopy and culture of the discharge.
You can review to your gynecologist. If it is due to yeast you will need antifungal treatment.
If due to excess action of hormone it will subside in the subsequent week.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Follow-up: Scan showed uterus lining was very thin and diagnosed vaginal atrophy. Prescribed oestradiol pessary. Producing white smelly discharge. Cure? 1 hour later
Thank you, I will see my doctor re getting microscopy and culture. Am I correct in concluding that Vaginal Atrophy is part of the aging process that you end up living with the problem?, i.e. there is no cure apart from ongoing hormone treatment, or does it cure itself after a while?

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
intermittent estrogen is good choice

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
Your doctor is right in helping you about the culture investigation.
You are also right that this disease is a part of aging process.
The intermittent local estrogen application strenthens the vaginal mucosa and relives symptoms for months together.
In due course the intensity of symtoms will reduce or will go completely as your body adjusts to new levels of hormones.
I hope the advise will be helpful.