Scan said uterus is anteverted and contains indistinct fluid area. Meaning?

Question
been for a scan today and she said the uterus is anteverted and contains a 4mm sac plus a more indistinct fluid area measureng 8mm in mean diameter
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The uterine cavity containing a sac of 4 mm with small fluid can be due to a very early pregnancy less than 5 weeks or due to a missed abortion. If your periods are overdue and there is mild spotting then missed abortion is more likely since fetal node is not visualized.

You can go for a repeat scan after 10 days to see any growth in the sac.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Scan said uterus is anteverted and contains indistinct fluid area. Meaning? 10 minutes later
yes but what i want to know is my lmp was 27/1/2013 ive been having mild stomach pain but no bleeding i had a tv scan in wich they said the uterus is anteverted and contains a 4mm sac plus a more indistinct fluid area of 8mm in mean diameter what does this mean is ths in the sac or separate

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The fluid area is likely to be near the sac and is not within the sac. It is suggestive of a uterine bleeding. Serum HCG levels will help in confirming the viability of the fetus.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Scan said uterus is anteverted and contains indistinct fluid area. Meaning? 21 minutes later
if that was the case wouldnt i of had severe pain and blood loss as i havent any of these symptoms

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Hi again,

In case of missed abortion sometimes the mild spotting does not change into a full bleeding until the cervix opens up and all the products of conception are expelled spontaneously. You can wait for few days and if the bleeding becomes heavier, go for a repeat scan.

Wish you good health.

Regards.