Scan report showing gravid uterus shows a single intrauterine gestational sac. Is this a good sign?

Mar 2013
Hi, I am XXXXXXX I have one female child and I am pregnant for 2nd time I got scanning report saying early pregnancy stating gravid uterus shows a single intrauterine gestational sac with mean sac diameter measuring 8.5mm to less than 5 weeks No evidence of fetal pole/tick sac Cervical canal closed length 4.0cm I want to this good sign or bad because have more back and abdominal pain whether I can continue my pregnancy or not
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: WAIT AND WATCH FOR A WEEK, PROVIDE MORE DETAILS. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. WHen the gestational sac measures more than 8 mm with no yolk sac, it is generally indicative of an anembryonic pregnancy. ( failed pregnancy ). Also, when the sac measures more than 25 mm, with no fetal pole, or the sac fails to grow at a rate of 1 mm per day, it is also suggestive of the same. Please let me know your last menstrual period. Also, was this scan done vaginally ? Were your periods regular? Right now, I would ask you to wait and watch for a week. If repeat scan shows no improvement, pregnancy should be terminated. Take rest, avoid stress and intercourse, and take medications as prescribed. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Scan report showing gravid uterus shows a single intrauterine gestational sac. Is this a good sign? 8 minutes later
For 2 to 3 months before July my period was not proper variation in dates after July my period was on 16th of every month My last period was on 16th Sep This was my first scan
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX When was your scan done ? If it was done recently ( within the last week ) then going by your LMP, you should be more than 10 weeks pregnant. The ultrasound clearly then indicates a failed pregnancy. Could you please upload the report to me ? Also, If you had a history of irregular cycles, then it is still alright to wait for a week. As I said, if the repeat scan shows similar features, then termination is the only option. Take care.